Go with the Flow: Inviting the Flow of Abundance
By: Danielle Budd
Trying to make sense of my life situation at the end of 2020, I chose to dive in and gain some perspective on life by reading The Power Of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle. Like most of us, I was trying to make sense of the pandemic and all the loss that we all experienced in 2020 (and continue to experience as the pandemic continues). If you are struggling to accept your current life situation, I highly recommend reading this book because there are many eye-opening perspectives that I will not cover in this blog post that are essential for staying connected to the flow of abundance.
Surrendering to your life cycles
Like many of us, I have been trying to accept the shortcomings of 2020 and all the losses that occurred. Whether you lost a loved one, your job, had to move, couldn’t see your family, no longer attend your workout class, didn’t have in-person graduation, or had to close your business, we all experienced loss. While some losses are much more life-impacting than others, all of society can relate to the feeling of loss. One thing I have struggled with the most this past year is acknowledging that loss and accepting where I am now. Easier said than done, and we are STILL in a global pandemic, so it may be hard to fully grasp our losses until we can look back on the pandemic. However, life is still moving forward, and not knowing when, or if,life will return to normal again, I urge you to practice accepting the Now.
One concept I have come to understand on a deeper level thanks to the writings of Tolle are life cycles. By ‘life cycles’ I do not mean life and death but cycles that occur in our lives, periods we see as ‘bad’, and others as ‘good’. Part of the problem is seeing the lows as “bad”, for example, you have not been happy for the past five months because you have not found a job, or you have a job, but you hate it and it brings you no joy. We feel these situations are bad and try to push against them, lose hope or happiness, and stop ourselves from seeing all that we have to be grateful for. If we accept these situations we are in, not as ‘good’ or ‘bad’, just as is – then we can fully live in the present and fall into the mindset of abundance. Tolle writes, “There are cycles of success when things come to you and thrive, and cycles of failure, when they wither or disintegrate and you have to let them go to make room for new things to arise, or for transformation to happen. If you cling and resist at that point, it means you are refusing to go with the flow of life, and you will suffer.”
I could not get past the point of suffering in 2020 because I had not accepted the flow of cycles in my life. Having come out of four years (or more really) of successes and wins in college and graduating, I was in a ‘good’ cycle. Things came easy to me, I manifested many opportunities for myself, and in my mind, I was ‘successful’. Yet after completing one of the greatest accomplishments of my life so far – graduating college – I felt like a failure for not securing my first job. I was used to the easy flow of the ‘good’ cycle and then things stopped coming to me easily. I applied to many jobs and applied for a scholarship that would take me abroad, but nothing came of any of my hard work – at least that’s what it felt like. I did not want to give up or admit that things were not working out for me, I didn’t want to be a failure or a quitter. The hardest part was understanding I was not any of those things, no matter the fact that I still haven’t found my first big job.
I had to surrender to my life circumstances. I had to accept where I was at this point in my life. I had to let myself feel the emotions I was avoiding, emotions of sadness, failure, fear, and despair, to allow myself to move on and start anew. From reading The Power of Now, I was able to take a step back and recognize that this is just how things are right now, they won’t be this way forever, but there is no point in living in a constant unhappy state because things are not working out how I wanted. We must make peace with the present to progress forward and step into an abundant mindset.
How to break away from lack and move into the mindset of abundance
One thing I know for sure is you cannot be aligned with the flow of abundance if you are focused on what is missing from your life. To step into abundance you must be grateful for all the blessings you have now. You must make peace with your past and understand it does not define you now. You must surrender to the now. Once you are at peace with your life situation, this can be both feelings of peace with what is outside of you and within you, then you can finally start to raise your vibration to match the frequency of that of which you desire.
Everything that I am talking about is internal work. Work on your mindset, how you talk to yourself, how you treat yourself, and how you choose to use your power. Focus on yourself and your needs and you will raise your mindset to be more in the flow of abundance.
Here are my tips for getting into the flow and staying there:
- Acknowledge where you are. Do you operate out of trust or fear? If you feel yourself constantly scrambling because you think things will not work out, then you are operating out of the idea that there is a lack of support in your life. The best thing you can do right now is to acknowledge your life circumstances. Surrender to what is.
- Gratitude. The first step in attracting more abundance into your life is being grateful for all the abundance you already have. I recommend writing down three things each day that you are grateful for. Again, this is how you work on shifting your mindset from ‘lacking’ to abundance. You have so many things to be grateful for every day, starting with, you woke up today – that’s amazing!
- Developing trust with the Universe. I refer to the energy source of abundance as the Universe, please use whatever word or idea that works best for you. Once you have surrendered to the now and made peace with where you are at, start to develop a way to connect with the source of abundant energy. Accept and encourage the flows in your life. This may be through a guided meditation or listening to affirmations. Practice this connection daily and you will build up trust that things will work out for you. This is one way to do positive mindset work and control your thoughts. If you believe your life is abundant, suddenly things begin to work themselves out. Above all else, you must trust!
- Self-care routine. If you feel weirded out by the discussion of the Universe and source energy, and it’s just not for you, I’d recommend focusing on self-care and self-worth. Another way to step into abundance is by taking care of yourself. If you don’t value yourself, how do you expect great things to happen for you? This is a reminder that self-care is day-to-day work, it is taking time to do something kind for yourself. This may look different for everyone, so it is important to look within and pay attention to your own needs. Self-care is a great way to align with abundance because once you value yourself and your time, you will see how worthy you are of a life of abundance. Let the abundance flow, you are worth it and YOU best support yourself by taking care of yourself.
- Affirmations. Daily affirmations are another great way to raise your energy vibrations and connect with the flow of abundance. This can be a great addition to your self-care routine or something you do after meditation. Using positive ‘I am’ statements daily will help you build up self-worth and trust in the Universe. You can choose affirmations that align with you, make you feel good, and cater to your needs. We ALL need a daily reminder that we are enough.
- Manifestation. If you want to take the flow one step further, manifestation will help you attract what you seek. Once you have created a routine practicing staying present, your thoughts have shifted from lacking to the abundance mindset, and you are able to practice daily gratitude, manifestation will help align you with what you desire and bring it to you. The easiest way to manifest is getting clear about what you want your life to be. Once you know, write out your manifestations with ‘I am’ statements instead of ‘I want’. Connecting with the flow of abundance will help you manifest the life you want. Visualize you at your best! In your dream job, with you dream relationships, in your dream house….with whatever you desire! Let the universe know what you want and it’s already yours.
We are now in spring and we will see the abundance of rebirth and growth with the change in our physical environment. Let this be a reminder of the many cycles we see in our world. Change is always possible. From cold darker times of despair, growth and opportunity are born again.
Book: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle
Meditation and Affirmation Guides: InsightTimer